MCL WIN UK MOD THPS DCCU PROGRAM
MCL awarded £11.2 million MOD contract to supply hearing protection solutions
26 Aug 2015
Read more - INVISIO S10
Marlborough Communications Ltd. (MCL), a Cohort plc company, today announces it has been awarded an MOD contract to provide the Tactical Hearing Protection Systems for the Dismounted Close Combat User. (‘THPS DCCU’).
MCL and its partner INVISIO Communications AB will supply the winning S10 Hearing Protection capability and full support package. The initial order of £11.2M will see the S10 deployed across the Army and further orders are expected to support the Royal Navy, RAF and Reservists. The contract has been awarded for four years, with the option to extend it for a further three years.
The S10 THPS DCCU capability is an in-ear hearing protection and communication system for use on a single radio and consists of an in-ear hearing protection headset with control unit housing the electronics for situational awareness and impulse noise protection.
As part of the tender process the S10 has undergone rigorous testing and user trials and is proven to best meet the Authority’s requirements for a ‘Fit and Forget’ THPS DCCU solution that fully addresses the key issues surrounding hearing protection, situational awareness, ease of use and comfort. All of which are vital for DCCU acceptance and the subsequent success of the THPS DCCU contract.
This contract win follows on from MCL’s previous MOD win earlier in the year – supplying its Tactical In-Ear Protection Plugs as part of the Tactical Hearing Protection System for the Basic User Soldier THPS BU).
Claire King, Head of Business Development at MCL, said: “We are delighted to have won the THPS DCCU contract. Together with our partner INVISIO, we have worked tirelessly over the last 3 years to create a ‘fit and forget’ hearing protection capability that our soldiers trust, and this is a product that we are extremely proud of.
“Importantly, the S10 provides unrivalled situational awareness, crystal clear communications and importantly can be customised to ensure optimum comfort during operations. This is a significant development in the provision of efficient communications on the ground, and also provides vital protection for soldiers’ hearing in high noise environments. We look forward to working with the UK MOD over the next four years to deliver this product to UK soldiers.”
The system, which was developed in partnership with INVISIO Communications AB, MCL’s partner based in Denmark, offers the following:
• Increased mission success due to improved communication: The S10 separates radio communication and situational awareness to enable unimpeded situational awareness in both ears even when transmitting and receiving radio traffic.
• Prevention of hearing damage due to improved hearing protection: The S10 provides certified hearing protection rated at SNR 32 dB and NRR 29 dB to meet both EU regulations and the needs of soldiers in high noise environments.
• Reducing the burden: The S10 is small and light weight and no human interface is required once fitted (fit and forget) thus minimising cognitive burden.
• Trusted fit and comfort: The S10 in-ear headset offers unsurpassed comfort achieved by many years of mechanical design engineering and experience. The headset is customisable and incorporates an adjustable cable retainer and ‘soft spring’ in three sizes to achieve a comfortable fit and retention in the ear even in the most demanding environments.
• Crystal clear communications: Instead of traditional sound wave technology, the patented INVISIO Bone Conduction Technology uses a small and comfortable in-ear microphone that picks up vibrations from the user’s jawbone. The vibrations are converted into sound, delivering crystal clear communication under extreme conditions, even when whispering.
• Enhanced situational awareness (SA): The S10 provides unrivalled SA in three selectable modes to ensure the soldier can communicate effectively no matter what the noise environment. Natural hearing modes is equivalent to the human natural hearing and enables face to face communications, Comfort mode reduces the ambient sound level in high noise environments such as in tracked vehicles or on air platforms this mode makes travelling in vehicles less noise intensive. Enhanced mode is effective when operating in the dark to provide greater sound awareness of immediate surroundings.
Back to news